LIPA members believe that laser projectors hold many advantages over traditional projection techniques and that by joining their voices they can improve the business and regulatory environment for all.
Primary Objectives of LIPA
as adopted in May, 2011
- To be a single industry voice in rationalizing laser regulations. Inappropriate and outdated governmental regulations put onerous and costly requirements on cinema exhibitors who integrate laser engines into their projectors. We believe regulators are willing to consider new, appropriate requirements, but wish for all industry stakeholders to speak with a single unified voice.
- To provide companies a forum to develop evaluation methods and provide that information to standards bodies. Laser projectors hold the potential for numerous benefits for theatre owners, including dramatic reduction of operating costs, expanded color gamut, as well as in creased 3D brightness. Methods of evaluating aser benefits needs to be developed and needs to be provided to standards organizations for review and ratification at an industry level.
- Educate key constituencies. Education and safety will continue to be key concerns for all stakeholders in the value chain and LIPA can assist in compiling and dispersing this information.
- Coordinate best practices. Even with their many advantages, lasers still need to be handled correctly and safely. LIPA as an organization is well-situated to help projector-users to understand and implement best practices in handling their laser based systems.
LIPA membership is encouraged for ALL companies active in the area of laser illuminated projectors — since all companies will benefit from the market-opening activities in which LIPA specializes. It is also a valuable networking forum. Visit the membership pages to learn about more benefits from LIPA membership and join our activity.
Principles of Operation:
- LIPA will use its critical mass to foster a positive and receptive business environment for laser based projectors
- LIPA will focus on all laser illuminated projectors – except for pico-sized
- LIPA will be open to all participants that wish to contribute to the stated mission and subject to Board approval.
- LIPA will provide guidelines and promote adoption of laser-related standards, but not seek a voice in the standards-setting process.
- LIPA will expect members at the Board and Participant level to dedicate staff resources and actively participate in LIPA activities
- LIPA will promote education and best practices throughout the value chain
- LIPA will not impede current product sales or current product shipments, focusing efforts on communicating the benefits of lasers and realistic product timelines.